Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP)
****BEWARE!!! NEVER pay anyone to help you with this!!!****
The Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP) is designed to help as many as 3 to 4 million financially struggling homeowners avoid foreclosure by modifying loans to a level that is affordable for borrowers now and sustainable over the long term. The program provides clear and consistent loan modification guidelines that the entire mortgage industry can use.
Borrower eligibility is based on meeting specific criteria including:
- borrower is delinquent on their mortgage by 30 days or faces imminent risk of default
- property is occupied as borrower’s primary residence
- mortgage was originated on or before Jan. 1, 2009 and unpaid principal balance must be no greater than $729,700 for one-unit properties.
After determining a borrower’s eligibility, a servicer will take a series of steps to adjust the monthly mortgage payment to 31% of a borrower’s total pretax monthly income:
- First, reduce the interest rate to as low as 2%,
- Next, if necessary, extend the loan term to 40 years,
- Finally, if necessary, forbear (defer) a portion of the principal until the loan is paid off and waive interest on the deferred amount.
Note: Servicers may elect to forgive principal under HAMP on a stand-alone basis or before any modification step in order to achieve the target monthly mortgage payment.
The Home Affordable Modification Program includes incentives for borrowers, servicers and investors.
***We can never guarantee results from a lender***
For More Information Regarding the HAMP Program, Please Contact Us: